Ten Reasons You Should Dump AT&T Broadband Now

Last update: December 24, 2013

This article has had over 40,000 views! Thanks for reading it.

Over ninety percent of AT&T’s 10 million U-verse TV subscriber also pay for AT&T’s high-speed Internet services. While the U-Verse TV service is very good, there are many reasons you should get rid of your AT&T broadband now.

Ten Reasons You Should Dump Your AT&T Broadband Service

1. You’ll Save Money for at Least a Year

Broadband speeds vary, but there is a good chance you’ll save money for a least a year when you switch broadband providers. That’s because you can take advantage of special introductory offers. By switching from AT&T’s Elite DSL to Time Warner’s Standard Internet, we are saving $10 a month. But that’s just the first of many reasons to switch.

Netflix ranks AT&T DSL speeds next to last place

Netflix ranks AT&T DSL speeds next to last place

2. DSL Speeds Are Slower than Cable

We paid AT&T extra for 6Mbps, but rarely saw speeds that high.

Cable modem download speeds are typically two times faster than DSL.That’s because DSL providers like AT&T cap speeds at 3Mbps. To get faster data rates, we decided to pay extra for AT&T’s 6Mbps Elite plan, but Speedtest tells us AT&T’s is slower than 75% U.S. broadband providers. They give AT&T a “D” grade during peak usage hours. Our data speeds weren’t always that low, they sometimes peaked around 5-6Mbps, but the data rate jumped around so much, the average was often lower. A recent government study found that AT&T only delivers 87% of the speed they advertise, while Cablevision, Comcast, Mediacom, Verizon and ViaSat all deliver speeds that are greater than advertised. Netflix also rates ISPs and unsurprisingly, AT&T DSL ranks near the bottom of their ratings shown above. U-verse also underperformed cable-based broadband from Time Warner and others..

3. AT&T Seems Unable to Provide Consistent Data Speeds

DSL speeds should be more constant than cable speeds, but we found the opposite to be true. In the beginning, AT&T delivered speeds close to 6Mbps most of the time, but over the past four years we’ve seen our average speed drop dramatically. As you can see from the chart on the right, we’re not getting near the amount of data we’re paying for. Worse yet, AT&T’s data speeds frequently drop to almost zero.

Notice how our download speeds used to vary from zero to 3 Mbps

We wanted to believe the problems we were seeing were caused by a defective piece of equipment, but we’ve had techs from AT&T in our house three different times. The AT&T techs replaced our home gateway, DVR, set top boxes, connectors, splitters and other hardware, but none of the changes fixed our problems.

4. AT&T’s Customer Support is Horrendous

AT&T has the worst phone support I’ve ever experienced. They hide the customer support phone number on their site and then make you jump through hoops to get it. The site asks: Which of these four customer types are you? What is your Zip code? What type of support do you need? Then you finally see a ‘Call Us’ button. Now you enter AT&T phone tree hell. “I see you’re calling from 858-731-5252,” says the computer voice. “Is this the phone number where the problem is occurring?” “No,” I say. “Please say the 10 digital account number on your bill?” I say “I don’t know it.” “What type of service do you have? says the computer voice.” I answer.

Be prepared to jump through hoops on their website before you’re given a customer support phone number

I spare you the rest of the poorly written script. Often you’re presented with options that don’t apply with the problems you’re having and there is no way to go back — without hanging up and calling back again. I’ve had AT&T’s customer support line hang up on me before as well. The bottom line is that it can easily take 15 to 20 minutes before you’re able to talk to someone. Some of the AT&T Tier 1 techs are clueless. Be prepared to be asked to power cycle your hardware — even though you tell them you already did this before you called. Several times their network has been so bad they weren’t able to even analyze my hardware. In the end they always end up rolling a truck anyway because there is rarely anything they can fix over the phone.

5. AT&T Has One of the Lowest Data Caps & Throttles Those Who Exceed It

If you stream a lot of video, you are very likely to have your data speeds limited by AT&T. Most cable companies have limits of around 250GB, which isn’t that easy to reach. AT&T throttles users after 150GB a month. Although that seems like a lot of data, it’s not. If you stream movies or TV shows, or have kids who love YouTube, your family could consume more than this amount of data. Verizon doesn’t impose any type of cap on its FiOS and DSL lines. Time Warner has no specific limits, but can respond to excessive usage.

6. AT&T’s Network Has More Latency Than Others

We live in a new home that is hundreds of feet from the central office, so the quality of our broadband connection should be great, but we see horrible latency often. Occasionally these delays make it seem like we have to wait 15 to 30 seconds before web pages update. I used a site called Pingtest.net to prove the quality of the AT&T network in my area is poor.

Pingtest gives AT&T a “D” grade for line quality

The ping measurement tells you how long it takes a “packet” of data to travel from your computer to a server on the Internet and back. Whenever you experience delayed responses in Internet applications this is due to a higher than desired ping. A ping below 100 ms is expected from any decent broadband connection. You’ll notice I sometimes see delays as high as 150ms. That’s why AT&T gets a “D” grade here as well. Again, these results vary. Sometimes I see faster ping times, but this result shows how serious AT&T’s problems can be.

7. AT&T Doesn’t Allow You to Purchase Your Own Equipment

AT&T provides their subscribers with a home gateway or cable modem. As far as I can tell they do not allow consumers to select their own hardware from a list and use it with AT&T services like Time Warner and other service providers do.

We decided to purchase our own cable modem

This policy limits your options. Time Warner supports cable modems from Arris, Motorola, Netgear, SA, SMC, Thomson, Ubee and ZyXel. We decided to purchase our own DOCSIS 3.0-ready cable modem from Motorola after reading a large number of reviews on Amazon. This prevented us from paying a monthly rental charge, and will give us access to much faster speeds if we decide to upgrade our service plan in the future.

8. You Don’t Need DSL to Keep U-Verse TV

For the past two years we’ve wanted to cancel our AT&T DSL, but were told by their phone support reps that we needed to keep our DSL in order to get AT&T U-Verse. It turns out this is completely untrue. I wish we would have figured this out earlier. It would have saved us much frustration.

9. AT&T Hardware Doesn’t Support Advanced Wireless Technologies

If you’re a U-verse customer, you must use AT&T’s home gateway. The 2-Wire gateway that we were provided with has a built-in wireless router that doesn’t reach some of the rooms in our house. It also doesn’t support provide 5GHz 802.11 wireless support which is supported by our iPads and Samsung smartphones. This allows us to use a network that is much less congested than the normal 2.4GHz network all of our neighbors use. More info. The AT&T home gateway also doesn’t support advanced wireless features like 802.11n or wireless bonding (which increases data speeds).

After switching we saw our speeds go up dramatically

After switching we saw our speeds go up dramatically

10. The AT&T U-Verse Home Gateway Limits the Quality of Third-party VOIP-based Phone Systems

In order to get the best quality with VOIP-based phone systems like Ooma or Vonage, you must connect directly to a broadband modem or to a router that can prioritize voice over data. The home gateway which AT&T provides only allows this when you pay extra for AT&T’s VOIP service. Even without changing the settings on our router, our Ooma phone system already sounds better because it’s not starved for data all of the time.

Was It Worth Switching?

It’s been well over a year since we cut the AT&T DSL cord. Was it worth it? YES! Switching was fast and easy and saved us $120 in the first year.

After switching to cable modem, we saw our speeds go way up and all of our problems go away. Here are some more details:

• Our download speeds increased more than 800% to over 16Mbps over Wi-Fi. Our download speeds over Ethernet are up to 27Mbps — even though we only pay for a Standard plan that is supposed to cap out at 15Mbps.
  • Our upload speeds now range from 1 to 3 Mbps.
  • Our latency decreased 80% from 150ms to 21ms.
  • Our data speeds are much more consistent and rarely jump around the way they used to.
  • We’ve seen a dramatic improvement in the quality of our OOMA VOIP telephone service.
  • Our cable service has been very reliable. We’ve experienced only a few hours of downtime over the past 18 months.
  • It’s Time For You to Switch

You owe it to yourself to investigate the alternatives to AT&T in your area. There’s a good chance you’ll save money and end up with faster data speeds. In less than a week you can switch. Installation is often free, and only takes about an hour. There is no configuration you have to do on your end. Just connect the cable from the new modem to your wireless router, and you’ll be enjoying faster speeds in minutes. Of course your mileage may vary, you might want to check with others in your area to see what their speeds are before making a change. In our case, switching was a smart thing to do.

- Rick

Note: This article isn’t intended to be a plug for Time Warner Cable. They are used for comparison purposes, because they are the only cable provider in our area. Make sure you look into all options in your area – including fibre-based broadband solutions like Google Fiber and Verizon’s FiOS.

Copyright 2013 Rick Schwartz. All rights reserved. Linking to this article is encouraged.

Follow me on Twitter @mostlytech1

About these ads

About Rick E. Schwartz
    Rick Schwartz is successful mobile blogger from San Diego. He is currently working on next-generation mobile hardware and software. You can learn more about Rick by clicking on the "About" tab at the top of this page.

58 Responses to Ten Reasons You Should Dump AT&T Broadband Now

1. sabinereljic says:

We switched too. Thanks for the rundown.

2. Peter Runrig says:

#7 is not correct – You can buy and use anything you want.. I am using a Netgear N300 Dual Wireless Band ADSL+ Router which is very cheap to buy. It also eliminates your issue #9 as it offers 5GHz WiFi. I am not a fan of AT&T at all – thinking of switching to Sonic, but just thought it better you get this story more accurate.

3. Thomas says:

Spot on. I had AT&T for a long time, going back to when they were BellSouth. That company was easy to deal with. AT&T, however, is a customer service hell. The answer you get from one rep, once you get to them, is totally different from what you heard the last time you called. I just dumped the DSL for Time Warner Cable’s Road Runner, which is $10 more, but 10x the speed. I was also able to add a basic “broadcast cable” service for about $5/month, meaning that I don’t have to worry about a person entering the room messing with my over the air tv signal when it’s third and long. I’ll totally cut the cord with AT&T once I can get my Ooma system set up and my number ported. I don’t see how AT&T can survive in this market without radical changes to their business model. (Had U-Verse been available in my area, I may have tried it. But at the moment, they wanted me to pay more for phone and internet than someone with U-verse would be paying for much better services.) Glad I am switching.

• I agree with your AT&T customer service comments and am glad your switch was a positive experience. You might want to checkout my OOMA review. I’ve been using that system for over a year and like it.

4. LP says:

Why paying the high upfront price for ooma? Magicjack plus and nettalk are just as good and actually worth what you pay. The old magicjack sucked though as it needed a running winblows or crapple pc to be running and never offered linux support whereas now they plug into the router and thus a UX user is free to use them without crappy OS’s

• For me the upfront cost was insignifigant and I wanted the extra features that OOMA has. Thanks for mentioning this however. Has the sound quality of Majicjack improved? It used to be horrible.

- Rick

5. LP says:

The worst thing about magicjack to me: When my device was destroyed by a wheel on my chair, those jerks would not let me transfer the previously paid for 5 years to my new device that i bought off ebay.

6. Random West says:

What does one living in the boonies do when the current ISP is unable to solve a connectivity issue? HughesNet: Ablsolutely not. AT&T? the only other choice.

7. Otorro says:

Not sure if you are talking about att dsl or uverse because you are mixing info on both.
      1. The speed you get depends on the plan you have so if i order 3m then it should be around 2.25 and up and if i order 18m then it should be around that to. Saying your speed multiplied 500% doesnt really make too much sense.

2. Data cap for uverse is 250gb also

3. My latency stays around 30

4. My netgear router works fine with my service, you may have to change some settings but that is common in networks with multiple routers

5. This service is really dependat on diffren things like wiring equipment and how it was installed. One pereson may have no issues but someone else cant get it to work just because of a small issue in the network

In the end you cant put it all in one bag and say this one is good and that one is bad…

8. mark anotny says:

easy to spot and see you people work for twc !! it stinks i had at&t and switchrd to twc the worst mistake of my life..slow connection,no company rep..in short you are in your own have contract for 5g onli get .85 company replay…is up to 5g meaning from o to 5g

• That’s hilarious you think I work for Time Warner. I’m not the only one who feels this way. AT&T is constantly ranked near the bottom of all performance surveys I’ve ever seen. I really wished AT&T broadband didn’t suck so bad because it was a hassle to switch. In the end it was worth it for me.

- Rick

• Random West says:

Reading through here again makes me realize that despite the occasional irregularity of service- and improvements thereafter- our local wireless ISP (DigitalPath) is doing a terrific and sincere job of it. They worked with me for 3 weeks until the problem was resolved after changing out components and at least 10 hours of service calls. Not only at no charge but I will be credited for the downtime. I am really glad I held on. At the moment the only rip I have on AT&T was when they repaired my line downed in a storm- and left the entire length of cable where it had fallen, about 300′ worth. No wonder so many people are abandoning their landlines these days.

9. John says:

Rick,
      Thank you for taking the time to build out your ATT story. I’m switching my home and businesses ASAP and will never purchase anything related to AT&T again. We had a install date for a new line, fouth one in our home. Installer to be here between 8am- 8pm on Friday – no show , no call. Move to Saturday new proposed time 2 – 3pm “or earlier”, again no show , no call. Of course we wait. Monday we get Cust. Service rep that could care less, move to supervisor – more of the same – care less – no return calls. Absolutely Horrendous experience taking many hours to reach someone with no resolve. The new line is tied to a new business venture that we needed for Monday – go live. Now we are scheduled for Thursday and folks at ATT could care less the impact this had to their customer. Additionally we were signed up for U-Verse but experienced the same ..coming X day, no show, no call. I inquire – reschedule, now coming on X day, and yet again no show no call. I call again, to find “we having equipment issues”. Cancel the order. Every single call into their 800 numbers is frustrating and painful. The other comments you make to speed of DSL I’ve also experienced – Poor at best.
      One thing I’ve learned in business you either are good at customer service or you SUCK – meaning there isn’t customer service. AT&T SUCKS. They the most frustrating company I’ve ever encountered.
      I’m a long term customer back to the days of Bell. Interestingly enough if you ask 9 of 10 AT&T customers they have the similar stories and are leaving AT&T. Simply unbelievable the executives at AT&T have their head in the sand.

Happy to share and happy to be done with AT&T!
      John T in Missouri

10. Susan says:

Here’s another reason to dump AT&T: I have DSL service through AT&T. When I recently called them to see why my internet was running so-ooooo slow, they told me to turn off my computer so that they could conduct some “test”. When they were done testing — my computer wouldn’t turn back on! Don’t know what they did, but it killed my computer and I’ve now been waiting more than 10 days to see if they’re going to accept responsibility for the damage. I will have to buy a new computer AND I’ve lost more than a week of work time. Since I’m self-employed, that means NO MONEY earned for the past week! I’ll be changing to cable internet access ASAP.

11. Sandra says:

Anyone have experience with Dish internet?? I’m about to ditch AT&T also and am considering this, I already have a Dish for TV

12. SteveJ says:

I’ve been with AT&T uverse for 6 months. We don’t use it for a lot of downloading but it always slows down to a crawl (0.52mbs) from 6pm onwards in the evening. Had techs put to check the line. Asked them if they throttle and they said no. So, since its consistently slow (documented on my speed tests app) how can I leave the contract early. Easy process or will they fight me?
      I’m sick of this uverse crap.

13. Tom says:

We are currently changing from AT&T DSL to Comcast cable (South Florida). I am no expert on this stuff so I am wondering which package to get. The basic service offers 3 MBPS downloads while the next level offers 20 MBPS. Is the 3 MBPS substantially faster than the basic DSL I now have or should I go to 20? Interestingly, I can get the 20 MBPS package w/voice for the same price. Again, not familiar with OOMA etc. Any info appreciated. Thanks.

• Based on my experience 3Mbps down and 1Mbps up is marginal for a voice-over IP phone system. I’d recommend you go with the next level up. If 20 is the same price it’s a no-brainer. I would highly recommend you try OOMA, we love ours. Buy it from Best Buy or Amazon and you can easily return it if you don’t like it. But that would surprise me.

- Rick

14. Casey says:

While I agree that ATT’s suck factor is high, you basically trade in one evil for another. I used to have ATT DSL, and the bill got to a point where the cost/benefit ratio went out of whack. I then took advantage of a Comcast cable offer. Prices were great for six months, then went up, and then went up again at the 12 month point. At that stage ($65/mo for internet only), it was pay-back time, and Comcast started to take advantage of *me*. Since I had cut the ties with ATT a full year earlier, I was able to take advantage of their latest intro offer, which I now have. However, to my great dismay, I am finding that their modem/router (ATT Uverse 3800 HGV-B) refuses to play nice with my gen 6 Airport Extreme. Alas, I am locked in for a year, so there I go. If you’re willing to pay, yep, I agree that staying with cable is the way to go. For the rest of us minions, switching back and forth to save some dough is a given.

15. J. Hunter says:

Against my better judgement (I’ve dealt with AT&T in the past for our business lines), I’m considering switching to AT&T for internet. I am a new resident in Nashville, TN and have had Comcast for 3 weeks. The speed is horrible – I’m paying for 25M and get anywhere from 100K to 15M The 15M speeds don’t last long – the speed varies throughout the day and are mostly at the low end. My experience with TWC internet was much better.

16. Bob Chapel says:

Like yourself, when I had problems with AT&T, I would call the 1-800-NO HELP number and start the hoop jumping process. I finally figured out how to bypass all that by contacting my representative on the Public Service Commission and letting him know of the problems I was having and the lack of response from the company. By the next day, I had phone calls from VP’s of this department and managers of that department, all saying how ‘Sorry’ they were I had been having problems and they would see to it ALL would be corrected! Bottom line, don’t waste your time calling 1-800-NO HELP, call your Public Service Commissioner!

17. Anda says:

Thanks for this article. I am on the verge of leaving AT&T. I am having all the same problems. I am thinking about going with Cox cable, but they want me to pay my late mother’s old cable bill since I live in the same house. I am trying to find alternatives to AT&T.

18. Jesse says:

It’s time to switch! Time to give in to all of the U-verse advertisements that have been mailed to my house. Oh wait. U-verse isn’t available where I live? But my friend who lives literally 8 minutes from my house has U-verse. There must be a mistake. Too bad. you’re stuck with the lowest advertised 1.5 Mbps DSL. Good luck trying to do anything before 3am because you’ll be looking at a reoccurring red modem light atleast 6 times a day. But hey. I’ve had this internet option for over 9 years. They must be upgrading it sometime in the near future…….. Or maybe I should switch service provi– oh. That’s right. I live in the southeast where AT&T is practically the only option… Well atleast I still get to see how happy other people are on TV with their U-verse speeds! Good for them!

• wetnap says:

another in the same boat, been a loyal customer for a decade, but I got my first bandwidth cap notice today in the sf bay area, seems they are enforcing it now at the absurd cap of 150gb now, the only reason I stayed with them was because they weren’t enforcing the cap yet and it was too much trouble to switch.

150gb cap was set years ago, and it was absurd then, now with cloud computing and hd streaming its about as stupid a cap as it gets, its absurd government regulators let this monopoly continue to abuse our country, they throttle and cap the paltry bandwidth they provide americans when other countries laugh at our internet speeds.

19. LOL. There are some things that need to be updated in this article. I have a bonded 45 Mbps line (aka T3/DSL3) and I get 45 Mbps. sometimes it will spike to 50 or 60 Mbps. I pay about 65 bucks. The modems that come from AT&T have QoS (Quality of Service) which ensures that services such as VoIP and other digital communications are prioritized. I personally have not ran into a cap and I download a lot, much more than the average person. Movies, games, music and streaming no problems. Also I would like to know how that table that provided average Mbps speeds was figured, Google being on top is no surprise however they run fiber to home which is 1 Gbps or 1000 Mbps. I will provide links to the test Ping and speed. first is ping http://www.pingtest.net/result/89045498.png and second is speed http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3090526247 also as far as using other equipment (modems) of course you can use what ever one you want as long as you have the knowledge to configure it to the att DNS server settings which you can ask for. Customer service could always be better but that can be said about many large companies. well that is just my two cents.

20. Bill Frost says:

AT&T “Fast” Access in some parts of Miami is garbage. I’ve been stuck at 1.5 Mb/256 kb for over 10 years, and I probably get 50% of that speed during peak times. I think AT&T is finally going upgrade the infrastructure in the near (ha!) future, but I’ll probably be gone by then. Hopefully I’ll be able to get some real broadband wherever I end up.

21. Alberto says:

Rick i live in Miami Florida 33165 like Bill Frost the same problem,we still have DSL,i call to ATT (we pay $36 USD plus taxes monthly for 1.5 mbps) and ask them for better service and they told me that there is not faster service for my area Miami Westchester,my brother lives in Monterrey in Mexico and he has 15 mbps download with Telmex 10 times faster tham att Miami-Westchester,so i called ATT told them this about my brother living in a third world country having better service than me living in the first world in Miami,and the person from there service with south american accent (there call services in spanish are in El Salvador Costa Rica and Chile) she did not care and she thought it was a joke,and then she said ohh we have U VERSE oh but i am sorry is not available in your neighborhood call next month because we are working hard to improve our system, that was 6 months ago well i call last friday and the same story,there is not Cable in my block so they are going to run the cable very soon or at least they toll me that, att its save for now but as soon i have cable our story will be different specially for my Voip phone Vonage

22. Tech says:

Part of my 2 cents…

Att uverse has a dedicate line to each adress, “peak” hours should not be effecting your services becaus it is not like cable where your neighbors are running over the same line. As well as service where you can’t get the TV service (adsl signal) . It makes sense in previous years for such issues but coming now the quality of the service has come a long way.
      If you’re experiencing slow speeds at 6pm everyday it’s not a “peak” hours issue. Sounds like you’re having issues somewhere with interference, either a light post outside gets turned on and somehow is causing electric interference on the line or believe it or not an AM radio station could be cranking up there signal at that time causing interference on the line as well. One way or another I’ve resolved every issue I’ve came across as a customer complainng about Internet speeds as the service sucking, to be something completely different.
      Whether they run speedtests while their kids are waching Netflix and gaming online they’re not getting 100% of their speed…or their blaming our speeds because their computer opens up their browser slow. Haha enough ranting on my end. Enjoy the upcoming holidays everyone!

• Thanks for the comments. While it’s true that every DSL customer has a dedicated line to their house, there are other bottlenecks both in and outside the central office that affect data speeds. If you conduct your own tests you’ll find that speeds drop certain times of the day. It’s very predictable.

Secondly, when I perform speed tests, I do it multiple times to make sure the results are accurate and repeatable. I always made sure no one was streaming a video or downloading files while I was performing my tests.

- Rick

23. Ron Taylor says:

I have 12 mg uverse service and get a constant 11.99 speed now I just dumped Comcast because of there poor customer service 1 1/2 hour wait times just to get someone you cant understand is not acceptable, the billing is always wrong I was not getting the channels I was paying for when I finally got someone one the line (in the US) who found the problem in the coding and fixed it Comcast wanted to charge me for his actions to fix the problem which was created by Comcast and then wouldn’t rebate back for the 6 months that I didnt have what I was paying for.

And when you sign up don’t take to heart what they promise because you will disappointed

24. jen says:

At&t will let u get ur own equipment but they will not provide support /tech problems for it. If u get their product it has a year warranty and they will walk u threw setting up because I’m not savy bout tech stuff, not even the basic

25. Brian says:

Although it it nice to see someone voice their concern over an experience with a product I find this article to be more based off frustration than knowledge. Anyone that reads this that doesn’t really know how the different DSL technologies work and is having an issue is going to agree with everything that is written here. Different tiers of Uverse DSL use different protocols. iE: VDSL, VDSL2, ADSL1, ADSL2, etc. I have had them way before uverse existed into the bellsouth days when cable was faster. I have also upgraded over the years and currently run the new 45/6 tier that uses pair bonding which a lot of customers are still waiting for. Two things with this. One is that it is, for my area 13 dollars cheapet than the competitor, Comcast, and two, I consistently get 43 to 45mb with a consistent latency of 26 on a wired connection which I use on every device that I need the fastest speeds too. Keep in mind that I my household is very connected, more than the average. As far as te 250gb cap; I am not even really sure it is enforced as I have not personally ran into it. If you want a proof via speed test, please ask. Ranks better than 87% of US households, during peak hours.

Your article is poorly written and done in your anger without really getting your information right and when anyone happens to run into the title of the article in a google search it will only attract people that have had issues. Might I suggest to you or anyone else to do a google search for how uverse and DSL work so that you understand it.

I would also like to point out that the average PC user usually has no idea that their computer is laden with Mal and Spyware not to mention the overall performance of their machine that affects the performance of IE or other browsers that can skew their speeds. ( obviously, this was not your Issue)

Lastley, I would like to point out that most uverse customers use copper to the VRAD from their homes which in older homes is more likely to cause issues especially inside wiring affecting the NID. Ideally, fiber to the curb yields the best results as DSL technology requires an extremely clean signal to function properly. Cable on the other hand (DOCSIS) is a bt more forgiving.

• I’m pleased that one person is getting good data rates on AT&T.

While it’s true I’m not a fan of AT&T’s broadband most of the points made in my article are facts.

For example:
        - You’ll Save Money for at Least a Year. This is due to promo offers.Of course the same is true if you switch the other way.
        - DSL Speeds Are Slower than Cable – Although this isn’t true in every case what is true is the EVERY study shows AT&T under-performs its peers.
        - AT&T’s Customer Support is Horrendous – Indisputable
        - AT&T Has One of the Lowest Data Caps & Throttles Those Who Exceed It – Well documented.
        - AT&T Doesn’t Allow You to Purchase Your Own Equipment – Also a fact.
        - You Don’t Need DSL to Keep U-Verse TV – Factually correct.
        - AT&T’s Hardware Doesn’t Support Advanced Wireless Technologies

I encourage you to prove the above items are not factually correct.

- Rick

26. I couldn’t agree more. Thank you for such a detailed and comprehensive post. I only wish I had been warned before I ever got involved with them. I feel like a fool for switching from TWC to ATT after believing their special promo offer. I can’t wait till my contract is up and I’m going back to TWC where it’s fast, and no billing errors. Every single ATT bill is double what it should be. They are astonishingly irresponsible.

27. emily Kulish says:

I agree. ATT needs to quickly upgrade their infrastructure and do away with their 150GB/month limit.

28. hayden says:

i live in California and my area only has AT&T and Time Warner. Both are fine, I don’t know what all you are complaining about. Customer service has been fine at both places, I currently get 20-25/sec and about 14-17 wireless, I run 2 phones, Ipad, netflx, streaming music player, and full internet ( day trading with 4 monitors) and I have no problems. This is real inaccurate info, because speeds and prices change with location. You also need to learn to deal with these people. If you have one service and even mention changing over to another, I guarantee they will get you a better price. Do your research and stop sending the wrong signals just because your ex-wife worked at AT&T, or some personal issue. Grab a tissue

29. Peter Vanderschans says:

Rick, your point 7 is true as far as I can tell and bugs me greatly: While you can buy your own equipment for ADSL, that is not true for U-verse (VDSL). I have AT&T U-verse at a nominal 12 MB down and would be happy, except for the supplied Gateway. The wireless worked only for a few hours after installation for which reason I am using my Netgear router instead.

Very important for me is also the problem I am having to get 2 external VOIP devices working correctly. I have one working okay (not perfect), but never managed to get the second one working with U-verse Internet. I believe this is due to limitations of the Gateway. With DSL, I had three ATA devices working fine. I switched to U-verse for the higher speed, but did not realize the external VOIP problems I would be having.

30. i HAVE HAD IT WITH AT&T !!

I was fine with the elite tier for many years, but the last year has been absurdly awful and frustrating to the point that I am totally willing to switch to Time Warner despite how much I hate that company too. I have spent countless hours troubleshooting a connection that is frequently less than half of what minimum is supposedly guaranteed, and which constantly resets itself whilst i am in the middle of something important (and the rage this has caused my gaming partner is indescribable, especially if he was winning at the time connection disappeared.)

The only thing that kept me from calling TWC this long is the hassle of switching and the fact that our cable drop got taken out by a broken tree branch and I know it will take them two months to get someone out her to fix it, but the last straw has finally broken the proverbial camel’s back when the last tech from att declared the problem to be with the modem and replaced it with a new one that essentially broke my VOIP service with MagicJack and now I have no phone. This useless piece of equipment is not at all user friendly or configurable in the most basic ways, and they charge $100 for this thing which is available on ebay for less than 20! (And still no one buys it, becuase its GARBAGE!)

To top it off, the price has been creeping ever so steadily upward and for 10 buck sless per month I can have something like 3-4x the speed download and 3x speed upload with TWC! I’m done. I don’t want the headache any more since more hours of my time have been wasted with this nonsense than should have been .

31. Kenteman says:

I just got a notice today my AT&T Elite DSL is going up to $49. Ridiculous, especially with their 150GB data caps, absurdly slow speed and horrid customer service. My 4G internet on my Verizon cell is faster and more reliable than this crap. Bye Bye AT&T.